Thursday, December 29, 2011

The 3650 Challenge

A few weeks ago, I read about the 3650 Challenge on Tim Challies' blog.  Basically, the idea is to read through 3,650 chapters of the Bible in one year.  In case you're wondering, that "means that over the course of 2012 anyone who uses the plan will go through all the Gospels four times, the Pentateuch twice, Paul’s letters 4-5 times each, the Old Testament wisdom literature six times, all the Psalms at least twice, all the Proverbs as well as Acts a dozen times, and all the way through the Old Testament History and Prophetic books about 1.5 times. That is drinking from the fire hose!" -Tim Challies

While I'm not proud to say it, prior to this year and since becoming a Christian I had yet to read through the entire Bible ...ever!  But, praise God, this year, despite not reading for three weeks of the year, I made it though the entire Bible with two days to spare, by His grace alone.  Cody and I just finished the last 4 chapters of Revelation an hour ago and my joy is overflowing!!!  Thank you God!  It was such a rich year for me as pieces of God's word sunk into my head and many truths were hidden in my heart.

Back to the 3650 Challenge: When I read about the challenge I immediately felt driven to up my goal (did I mention that normally I detest reading?) this year after growing so much in the Lord over the past year.  But, was going from reading 3-4 chapters a day to 10 chapters a day crazy?

I prayed for wisdom about this desire and then asked my husband the following question - "Cody, with three boys coming and our world soon being turned upside down, do you think I would be crazy to try to read 10 chapters of the bible a day or crazy not to try?".  His response - "You'd probably be crazy not to".  So...after reading more about the plan and the challenge, I've decided to make this my goal for the new year!  If I make it through, as I desire, I know it will take some major mortification of the flesh and a mountain-load of God's grace!

If you are interested in the plan, you should read more about it by clicking here!  Then join the facebook group here and enjoy having your life enriched by the scripture as you hide it in your heart.  As John Piper once wisely said, "‎"If you haven’t been jarred when you’re reading the Bible, you’re not reading it."  Prior to this year, I hadn't really been "jarred".  Now I hope a lot more jarring will happen in 2012!  Hope you can join the rest of us that are taking this challenge.

Kimberly


Blessed is the man
who walks not in the counsel of the wicked,
nor stands in the way of sinners,
nor sits in the seat of scoffers;
but his delight is in the law of the LORD,
and on his law he meditates day and night.
(Psalm 1:1-2 ESV)


How can a young man keep his way pure?
By guarding it according to your word.
With my whole heart I seek you;
let me not wander from your commandments!
I have stored up your word in my heart,
that I might not sin against you.
(Psalm 119:9-12 ESV)




1 comment: